Thursday, September 20, 2007

Food glorious food...

I have been having a hard time of it this week. Food beckons me. I love it. I also have a problem with binge eating. Sometimes I just cannot stop eating until I feel Ill or I can't hide anywhere to eat. When I lost the 20kg I lost (before I put 15kg back on) I was not on a "diet". I had a healthy eating and healthy exercise plan which mostly worked (albeit slowly). I just can't seem to regain those habits and have been thinking of going on a "diet" to give me a kick start. I am looking at CSIro diet or South Beach. I can't in my mind thathom doing weight watchers again as when I did do it it was not in a healthy way (i.e undereating to allow things I really shouldn't have been eating).
On a positive note I am trying to remember all the positive things that have improved in my health these last 5 years, mostly in the variety of food I now eat. I grew up in a household of meat, potatoes, pasta, junk food and takeaway. Vegetable were overcooked and my parent soon gave up trying to make us eat them. Salad??? Oh you mean coleslaw (which I hate) that came with the KFC .My mother still lives like this. My mum was a great cook when it came to deep or shallow fried. Even roast dinners were virtually shallow fried. I took over the household cooking largely from the age of 16 (and did a lot before then too).
Here are the list of things I now eat on a regular basis most of which I thought I didn't like back then:
Mushrooms (which I now LOVE)
Pumpkins ( love)
Spinach (love)
Rocket (love)
Cucumbers (I would eat these before but not as often as I do now)
Eggplant (aubergine)
Onions
Carrots
Cabbage (unless cleaverly hidden in something deep fried)
Baby broccoli (but not normal broccoli)
Zuccini (Courgette)
Chickpeas
Broadbeans
Lentils
Asparagus (YUM)
Leek
Ginger
Sweet Potatoe (Kumara)
Things I will still not eat and don't ask me to ( I have tried)
Capsicum - I hate these the worst
Brussel sprouts
Beans (both these still make me retch).
So in all I have come a long way I suppose. I am more open to trying things.

No comments: